The Mission of the Legal Metrology Department is to protect citizens from inaccurate measurements through legal control of measuring instruments in the areas of economic transactions, environmental protection, health protection and technical security. The Department of Legal Metrology is organized in 4 Regional Centers at the national level as follows:
- Service Sector No.1 (Tirana Regional Center), which operates in Tirana, Durres and Elbasan districts.
- Service Sector No. 2 (Fier Regional Center), which operates in Fier, Berat, Vlora, Saranda and Delvina.
- Service Sector No. 3 (Northern Regional Center), which operates in Shkodra, Lezha, Kukës and Debar.
- Service Sector No. 4 (Korça Regional Center), which operates in Korça and Gjirokastra.
Services provided by DML :
- Approval of legally-controlled measuring instruments that are imported (before putting into use)
- Initial and periodic verification of measuring instruments
- Control of the entities that produce, pack or import pre-packaged products. The control includes prepackages with a range of 20 g to 6 kg, for different types of solid and liquid products.
Approving the type of legally controlled instruments
The Director of the General Directorate of Metrology issues the approval of the type of measuring instruments when it meets the technical and metrological requirements as described in the DCM “On the technical and metrological requirements of legally controlled measuring instruments”.
Initial verification of legally controlled measuring instruments
Instrumentet matës të cilet kanë tip të miratuar, duhet ti nënshtrohen verifikimit fillestar përvec kur është parashikuar ndryshe nga rregullore të tjera.
The descendant verification of legally controlled measuring instruments.
The periodic verification of the measuring instruments shall be performed according to the determined verification intervals for the different types of measuring instruments. Re-verification intervals are foreseen by the Regulation of the Minister of Economy, Trade and Energy.
Measuring instruments that come under to legal metrological control:
-According to law no. 9875, dated 14.02.2008 “On Metrology”, legally controlled instruments are those instruments used for:Official and economic transactions, health protection, environmental protection, public order and technical security.
– Control of pre-packaged products and bottles as measuring vessels.
Categories of measuring instruments covered by legal metrology:
-Scales of different types and capacities
– Grams of different types and capacities classes M1, M2, M3
– Automotive scales
– Volume measure of different volume types and sizes
– Autobots (road cisterns)
– Fuel Distributors
– LPG distributors
– Fuel Cells for Sale
– Taxi Meters
– Manometers of vehicle tire inflator etc
– Different types of solid and liquid products.