The legal control of measuring instruments in Albania has its documented origin in the 17th century, with the main activity controlling measuring instruments used in trade. Modern metrology was introduced by the Municipal Law (1921), the Law on the Metric System (1922), and the Law on Measurements and Measuring Systems (1928). Although these laws were modern for the time, the lack of appropriate organization and infrastructure did not allow their practical implementation. The solution of this problem was enabled in 1946 with the establishment of the Metering Instruments Control Directory. This enabled the first creation of a structure responsible for Weights and Measures, but the laboratory infrastructure for conducting verification of measuring instruments used in production or trade was insufficient. Meanwhile, ensuring traceability of measurements to the highest international level remained a problem for a relatively long period of time. In the communist period, just like in all Eastern European countries, metrology meant only the sphere of law, that is, legal metrology. Partially measurements of traceability were provided independently of former industrial enterprises, which were nevertheless State-owned. Lack of infrastructure, information and communication with regional and wider metrology structures in those years were the main factors that prevented the development of metrology. These primary problems were solved by the establishment of the General Directorate of Metrology and Calibration (today DPM) in 2003. Since this year, a number of dynamic changes have occurred that have been reflected in the legal provisions and implementing infrastructure. Today, the General Directorate of Metrology is responsible for scientific metrology, industrial and legal metrology, operates under the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Energy and develops its activity in support of Law no. 9875, dated 14.02.2008 “On metrology”, as well as the by-laws issued for its implementation.