Sector of prepackaged products
The legal control over the prepackaged products is the control exercised at all stages of production, distribution and trading of pre-packaged products to ensure that the actual quantity in prepackage complies with the quantity stated on its packaging.
Control of pre-packaged products is realized:
• In the premises of the manufacturer of prepackaged products (in the packaging lines) through the statistical control method, periodically at defined time intervals.
• In the premises of the importers (warehouses) through the statistical control method, periodically at defined time intervals.
• In the premises of the distributors (majority stores) through the randomly selected statistical control method.
• In the retailer’s premises (brands, shops, etc.) through selective random sampling.
According to Law no. 9875, dated 14.02.2008 “On metrology”, Article 37, packaged goods and bottles as measuring containers may be placed on the market and offered for sale only if they meet metrological requirements prescribed by the DCM in force and have inscriptions and signs described up to the time of purchase. The manufacturer or importer is responsible for the compliance of packaged products and container bottles with the measures specified in the legal provisions. All manufacturing or importing entities of pre-packaged products and metering bottle bottles must register the activity of manufacturing and importing prepackages and measuring containers bottles in the General Directorate of Metrology, according to the respective form. The manufacturer or importer, in cooperation with the General Directorate of Metrology, when it is noted that pre-packages or bottles marketed by him do not meet the requirements, is obliged to take appropriate measures to protect the consumer. In case of non-compliance with legal requirements, the General Directorate of Metrology shall take administrative measures accordance to the law.
The manufacturer of prepackages with a conformity mark must construct and implement his net quantity control system of packaging or net volume control system for the bottles produced. The General Directorate of Metrology carries out the observation instead of the quantitative control system of the producers that have applied for the approval of the quantitative control system and the marking of the conformity mark. After completing the legal requirements and review by the competent certification body, approval and monitoring of the system is done.
The packer must demonstrate the ability of quantitative control, through a competent staff assigned to this task, and the recognition of the statistical control procedures of the pre-packaged products, before the product is equipped with the Albanian mark “c” of the conformity assessment of prepackages.
The establishment of the conformity mark in the pre-order is not mandatory, but the establishment of the conformity mark in prepackages which does not meet the requirements described, constitutes a violation of the law “On metrology” and is punished by a fine.
The Albanian mark “c” of the conformity assessment of the pre-packages has the intend to:
• Provide reliability in declaring the nominal quantity of the prepackaged product
• Promote uniform declaration of nominal quantity
• To facilitate the marketing of pre-packaged products and to increase the efficiency of control by the relevant authorities
• Have the distinguishing mark of the correct filling of the quantity specified on the label